Today I attended a deep dive session on SAP business analytics 4.0, the official launch is tomorrow. SAP clearly see’s this release as a big leap for their business intelligence portfolio but I think they see it as “big leap” for the business intelligence space in general.
The four key themes for this release are:
- Big data in real-time
- Insight with confidence across business and social data
- Instant, Powerful BI in your hands - Mobile BI
- The best fit, right size, right now
Have covered some of the details of this release in an earlier post based on a briefing by Steve Lucas (GM Business Analytics ) SAP.
Some interesting bits from todays session:
- 1 Million Person days investment made for this release
- BI 4 – Is a new release after 3 years – Lot of customer interest.
- Close to 30 customers in ramp-up
- Both the co-CEO's of SAP had iPads with the SAP Business Object Explorer app which has access to the full CRM data of SAP loaded up onto the "in-memory" platform. This usage pattern has had a trickle down impact across the organization both in terms of usage of the system and user behavior.
- In Memory – HANA - 5x faster on SAP BW
- 13000 SAP customers have SAP BW implemented
- Hana’s licensing is based on the size of usage - Extra small package will be available for SMEs
One of the key aspects of this release is the “In Memory” aspect, with this regard SAP has put together a 3 x 3 matrix on what is the best approach to “in memory” or “Acceleration” for customers based on their respective application environments:
|Application Environment||Acceleration Technology||Business Intelligence Solution|
|SAP ERP (4.6c or later)||Go directly to HANA||SAP Business Object BI|
|SAP Netweaver BW||SAP Netweaver BW Accelerator||SAP Business Objects Explorer|
|Non SAP analytics / data||Sybase IQ||SAP Business Object BI|
Another area that is going to be interesting to track / watch is Analytic applications , these are apps that are going to be built on the In-memory platform/HANA. Looks like the SAP BPC solution is also likely to go down this path being built / deployed on the in-memory platform (HANA).
Image Source: 1